Monday, March 11, 2024

I don't pay for love

 

As a subscriber to my newsletter, you know I don't beat around the bush. I tell it how it is. Many of you appreciate straightforwardness and are mature and smart enough to tell the difference between marketing fluff and a genuine opinion.

Let me get straight to it: I have a problem. A big problem which does not even have a solution. 
You see, I have no problem talking about watches. Even less, pulling them apart to their last components, undertaking complex repairs and adjusting them to perfection. I can also tell you why you should invest in a certain watch, why a certain design is timeless while sharing my excitement of their internal and external beauty. 

However when it comes to one particular brand and maker, I struggle. I feel extremely uncomfortable to talk about the brand. I am not exaggerating: even the thought of writing, causes me physical discomfort and real physical pain. That brand is Nicholas Hacko Watchmaker.
It's simple: it is not my job to talk about myself. That is rude. Inappropriate. Obnoxious.
On the other hand, finding anyone else capable of telling you the NH story is impossible. There is absolutely no one out there willing and able to share the NH excitement in an objective, unbiased, professional way. To tell you the truth: how difficult the journey of independence really is; how difficult it is to build a complex mechanism expected to perform flawlessly for decades to come; the sacrifice, tears, sleepless nights, countless hours behind the bench- and ultimate rejoice seeing a watch assembled and ticking. Literally the miracle of new life.

Let's not be unkind and generalise: not all influencers, bloggers, journalists and even sales people out there are purely motivated by money.
On the other hand, none of them will talk about me- or any other brand- for free. They talk nicely about watches because they are paid to talk nicely about watches. I don't pay for love.

And even if I would, the love I would get from them and service they would render in exchange would be rather humiliating: no kissing. 

The only other option, apart from self promotion would be withdrawal to complete anonymity. To make watches for a handful of true watch enthusiasts, to take my name off the dial, shut down all communication and like a monk, devote my life to horology. As pure and purist that might sound, it would be nothing more than an admission of self defeat and a betrayal to those who are yet to discover the NH brand.

I choose self promotion. I choose pain rather than humiliation of telling my story to those, who like Chinese whisperers would then retell it distorted, blinded by their ignorance and jealousy. 

No one can tell a watchmakers story other than a watchmaker himself.

Allow me to highlight just a couple of reasons why you should invest in a MK2.

Last year, during the Geneva watch manufacturing exhibition, EPHJ, I took the opportunity to show our titanium guilloche dial for the MK2 to Kari Voutilainen. He was impressed. If a Nicholas Hacko watch is good enough for Kari Voutilainen, it's good enough for you too.

Josh and his small team make complex engineering components that not just go into space, but are "crucial-to-mission". If NH can be trusted by space engineers, it can be trusted by you.

For the past few months, I have had five MK2 watches sitting on my desk, on public display. Without exception, every person who is into watches and appreciates the beauty was visibly impressed by the perfection of the colourful dials and the feathered hands. There, I said it: perfection. Not perfection that comes from Switzerland, or Japan, or Germany, but perfection attained in a country with no horological manufacturing tradition. 

If it is perfect for me, it's surely perfect for you.

This is the the story you need to know. For an Australian watch enthusiast, wearing an Australian watch made by a real watchmaker is a privilege. I invite you to join us on an exciting journey which has just begun. 

Thank you for being my ambassador, I am proud of you. 
Photograph by Vaughan Pearce.
MK2
- 40mm case size 316L steel
- Anti-reflective sapphire crystal glass
- Titanium Guilloché dial, with Grade 5 Titanium hands and applied numerals
- Soprod M100 automatic movement
- Water resistant to 10atm

Price: $7,900

A small quantity of MK2 watches have been assembled and are in stock, ready for immediate delivery. 

No comments: