Wednesday, October 19, 2022

A strong watch brand is not built by a strong watchmaker, but by his strong supporters

Early Friday morning I got a quick email:
"Hey Nick, your Mark 1 watch is listed on eBay. Only $2,100. Just letting you know".
Shortly after, a phone call, from another Rebelde ambassador, also letting me know that 'someone out there is selling a Mark 1'.
Then around midday, a visitor to the shop mentioned too that 'my watch is for sale' and that he is seriously tempted to buy it. The only problem was that he already had one.
Clearly that 'cheap' Mark 1 was generating quite a bit of interest. And somehow, there was an expectation and sense of urgency within 'our community' that something had to be done - by me.

My watches rarely appear on the second hand market. For the obvious reason: once I drop dead, those watches will become more desirable and most likely, shoot up in value. But at the end of the day, with 200 Mark 1 out there, it is only natural that eventually one will appear on the pre-owned market before that happy day. Watches are bought and sold; circumstances change. Does Mr Patek get upset every time Patek is sold on eBay? Does Mr Lange and all his sons or Monsieur Breguet get upset when watches bearing their names appear auctioned away with no reserve? They couldn't care less. But to sit idle was not an option, so on Sunday night I went on eBay and for the first time in my life, in the search box, I entered my own name.

There it was: an orphan Mark 1, in all its glory. The seller did a good job describing it's uniqueness, and gave the watch deserving credit on both appearance and performance. But the seller was not the original owner, the listing was from a pawn shop. It was obvious that the original Mark 1 owner, our ambassador, has fallen on tough times and had to pawn the watch. This is why the watch ended up on eBay.

The realisation that my watch was on a display in a pawn shop, offered for sale together with cordless drills, broken Nintendo consoles, used gym equipment and piles of unwanted junk was simply unbearable. In a nano-second, I clicked the 'buy it now' button. 
Now, you may think I have rescued the watch from kindness of my heart, and that story of redemption and sacrifice leads to some epic grand finale where the watch is going to be returned and reunited with it's original owner. If you do, you are mistaken. My plan is simple: I want to find a new home for Mark 1, and a new guardian who will appreciate it, wear it proudly, and take good care of it in years to come. I want to give it as a gift to someone worthy of receiving such a valuable present.
As you know, I honestly believe that Seiko Astron is one of the four watches you simply must have in your collection. Today, I have twelve Astrons for sale. If you buy an Astron today, you will go into the draw to win the rescued Mark 1. Show me your patronage and support, and I'll show you my respect. You support me and my business, I'll make you the proud owner of a watch you deserve.

No comments: