Thursday, August 24, 2023

An unexpected act of kindness that almost brought a tear to my eye

As strange as it sounds I have never received a watch as a gift except once.

A while ago after the watch night talk a visitor to our workshop pulled out a Russian watch in a cardboard box. "This one is for you Nick. Thank you for a wonderful night". I had the watch for a few years and ended up regifting it, which I believe is an appropriate thing to do. 

Literally half an hour ago, Trent, a sales representative for Mondaine watches came to the office. He brought with him a bunch of the latest catalogues and we discussed a new order. Then, out of the blue, he showed me a watch from another brand - a sample that had just arrived to Australia. A limited edition carbon fibre body sports piece on a cherry red rubber strap. "Oh, this is an amazing watch" I said. "I am sure many of your subscribers would love it" he said.  I said: "no I would love it for myself. We actually just got back from Switzerland and I met the manufacturers who make those cases. Carbon fibre watches are really a big hit in France and Switzerland. It's such an understated material and it looks like frozen meteorite. And before I can recommend it to our subscribers I would love to wear it myself for a month. Please invoice it and send one whenever it becomes available." 

On that note Trent simple handed over the watch. "You can have it Nick. It's a present."

I really don't know what to say, I am absolutely blown away with Trent's generosity. The reason why this newsletter is delayed is because I couldn't help myself but to play with the watch. I'm not going to disclose the brand or the model but it is a Swiss automatic watch. 47mm case size, 52mm including crown. I will keep you posted over the next few weeks but if you stop by you will see me wearing it.                          

No comments: