Thursday, August 24, 2023

The frosted meteorite

It only took an hour or so for about 20 subscribers to figure out not just the brand but the exact model of my new watch. You guys are just crazy. Serious respect, beyond humbling.

Of course, this morning I flexed the watch to Josh. "You look like a 40 year old schoolboy" he said. I pretended I didn't hear the insult. "I'm loving it! Carbon case, made by people we've met in Switzerland!"

"No it's not. Those cases are machined, where your case is made of sintered carbon flakes, moulded under high pressure. Not a bad technology, invented and marketed by Hublot who released a $100K watch in that very case. Unfortunately a failed project - because literally the next day every case maker in China was making the exact watch. So the carbon case is not a big deal, it is the quality of the mould that makes the difference. By the way, we can make a mould ourselves if we want to." 

I wasn’t about to give up. "And the people we've met in Switzerland? Do they do the same?"
"Again, no. Their carbon is mixed with resin, then compressed, then machined. Time consuming, high-tech and expensive too."
"Can you do me a favour, pen this down so I can share it in the newsletter?" 
He was already at the door: “I'm busy making Curl Curls, do it yourself."

I've created a monster.

[To be continued...]

No comments: