Broken and discarded, then found by Jim's
grandson, this 1930s Swiss A.S. watch is now ready for a new lease of
life. Without any doubt this was the most difficult restoration project
A. Schild S.A. was a watch movement maker operating from the 1890s through to the 1970s.
Adolph Schild began producing watch movements Grenchen, Solothurn after
1896. Schild produced many different movements and became one of the
largest movement makers in Switzerland by the 1920s. Schild movements
were used by many manufacturers in the 1950s through 1970s, including
such familiar names as Harwood, Fortis, Enicar, and even
The quartz crisis of the 1970s hit Schild especially hard, as
inexpensive Japanese and quartz watches cut into the market for
volume-produced three-handed watches. By 1979, in order to survive the
Japanese onslaught, Schild merged with ETA.
What made this restoration painful is the fact that there was not a
single component that was not either affected by rust, broken, out of
shape or simply worn out. Thanks to two other AS554 donor movements, the
end result was luckily a success.
Make sure to watch until the very end to see what's coming next!