Tuesday, August 27, 2024

I wish I met him 30 years ago…

 

We’ve been in the watchmaking business since 1951, when the first Hacko opened a small repair shop in a central European country right on the border of the Iron Curtain. Literally three years after World War II ended. Running a small business, and being a self-employed was kind of a novelty in a country where the State took care of employment. There were three kind of citizens: farmers, factory workers, and intelligencia. In that system, we were a misfit from day one.

Yet things ran relatively smoothly: we fixed watches, providing a valuable service to both state and citizen.

>From a taxation stand-point, small businesses were assessed by a Government official in a very rudimentary way: pauschal, or flat rate. Meaning, once a year an assessor would walk into our family shop, have a good look at the number of watchmakers (two, plus an apprentice) and stock on hand (none, just spare parts). He would also take into account the shop’s location and passing traffic, and based on that, we would come up with a figure which represented an amount of tax to be paid that year.

The negative side of flat rate taxation was obvious: inherent unfairness and corruption, but there was a positive side too: no invoicing, or billing, no book keeping, and no accounting of any kind, meaning zero administration. We simply focused on fixing watches. We only started retailing watches in the late 1970s when non-government businesses were allowed to buy and sell watches.

I saw my first proper accountant upon arrival in Australia. Quite frankly, it took me a few years to figure out why I should even have one when the business was really struggling to break even. My very first accountant was an Irish gentleman, Mr. McCarty from Parramatta, who was equally puzzled with my desire to operate a small business – lacking working capital, having no local experience, and barely able to speak English. Ten years later, after moving to the city, the business was ready for a new accountant: a serious professional with an office in York street. I have to say that we got what we paid for: a good relationship, proper business structure, finely tuned performance. You buy Rolex, you wear Rolex kind of deal.

Unfortunately we had no choice but to part at the very outset of Covid because Nikolaki decided to close the city office and move interstate.

It was then when I met my current accountant. Sam is a legend. He is the kind of guy who can answer any question, on the spot, in a second. Efficient, prompt, friendly; a mature gentleman who simply loves what he does. For Sam, nothing is difficult. I trust him blindly. He's the A.Lange & Sohne of accounting. Every morning I pray for his health before I pray for my own.

Why am I retelling all this? Last year, I met Ivan, an accountant from Adelaide. Ivan kindly helped me setting up a small radio retail business which is now celebrating it’s first birthday. Over the past twelve months, we exchanged numerous emails, phone calls, we worked together on the website, and we’ve spent many late evenings trying to find a strategy to launch new products. Quite frankly, I have never come across someone more passionate about my business than I am.

It would be a sin not to recommend Ivan. I bet there is someone out there, in Adelaide, right now, thinking of taking their business to the next level, or simply, looking for a passionate, enthusiastic, trustworthy accountant. If this is you, or someone you know, then give him a call and simply mention ‘Nick, the watchmaker from Sydney’. I have no idea what he can do for you, but I can guarantee that you would be hard pressed to find a more passionate and a better value for money accountant in Adelaide.

For complete transparency: Ivan did not pay, or even ask to be mentioned in this newsletter. The idea is entirely mine, on merit, my way of saying ‘thank you for going the extra mile’.

An unsolicited 5 star Google feedback, so to speak.
Ivan Vujic BCom
Accountant
Registered Tax Agent: 26195484

M: 0449 252 750
E: ivan@nexusaccounting.au
W: nexusaccounting.au

A: 179 Grange Rd, Findon, SA, 5023
P: PO Box 11, Findon, SA, 5023                         

No comments: