Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A truck load of Rolex GMT Masters

Chapter IV

(Warm greetings omitted by sender)

"You know....I used to look at your e-mails and think...wow...these prices are a bit high...must be because of the Australian dollar...but now with the AD on par with the US dollar, I have just put you squarely into the column of Rolex reseller criminals...Selling a used Rolex GMT Master II that cost $2500 new for $8k just has to be criminal... especially when it can be had for between $3-5K almost anywhere else...I guess the Australians aren't as bright as I thought... Please remove me from your distribution list, the entertainment value of your prices and hyping of common watches has weened...

Regards, Jessie"

(Spellchecked by recipient)

Dear Jessie,

I have forwarded your email to my book keeper Wendy. Man, she needs to get a life!

Wendy is such a pain in a bum - last year I lost a receipt for $4.50 (noodle bar in Cabramatta) and she simply can't get over it. I now spend most of my Mondays typing from a closet, sharing a cubicle with shady Cyprian solicitor. "Niiickyyy, you still owe me that receipt mate" yells Wendy every Monday under the door.

And look at you Jessie - so causal with figures, so relaxed with numbers, so easy going with facts! Not a pinch of guilt. Rounding prices to three zeros makes Harvey Norman's $9.99 look like a bad joke. What a talent Jessie! What style!

But Jessie, as much as I would love to, I have no time to dwell over your gift, nor have I time to unsubscribe you - so I'll go straight with what I believe is equally magical stroke of genius: I am willing to extend my hand of friendship and business partnership over the Pacific, from a colonial city of Sydney to financial metropolis of Maurepas Swamp, Louisiana.

You and me Jessie, will be the Bonnie and Clyde of pre-owned Rolex market!

Here is what we are going to do (and I am spelling this out in detail just for the sake of slow Aussie subscribers who are not good with maths, or hyper excited with numbers, like my book keeper Wendy):

I am going to order a truck load of GMT Master II from your supplier in Maurepas Swamp, LA. The cheap examples in so-and-so condition will do us just fine (remember- we are selling them to dumb Aussies!) When placing the order, please remind your guys that a GMT II only cost $750 in 1981. Taking in account the overall condition, recession in USA and sizable volume of our initial order,we can expect further 30% volume discount. What a heck – let’s ask for 50%. After rounding the figures, that would be exactly $250 a piece.

I guarantee you - and let me repeat this one more time - I GUARANTEE YOU JESSIE- we are going sell that darn load of GMT Masters in no time for a $3999 a pop. I swear I'll make that $3,974.71 just to see the sweet tears of joy rolling down Wendy's plump cheeks.

Would the 40-60 split work for you Jessie? With all due respect, I am the one who has the newsletter and needs to deal with bloody subscribers!

If you think this is no way possible - then please rest assured it's DONE DEAL because I've just got thumb up and a nod of approval from Dimitrios the solicitor (who himself is doing a killing importing potatoes, Pateks and pre-loved Porsches from Nigeria).

Awaiting your prompt reply,

Nick

PS Please pass my kindest regards to Troy Landry and Landry boys. Man, they are so HOT here!


Watercolour by TanyaH

No comments: